Sour Gas Plant
Helping an onshore sour gas plant achieve production, cost and safety performance breakthrough
Context and Challenge
- Recently acquired 200+ MMSCF/day capacity US sour gas plant in remote area.
- Historic issues with plant performance: many unplanned outages, high unit cost, HSE concerns.
- Lack of performance culture and lack of integration into new group.
- Real need to use short term shift in production, cost and HSE performance as opportunity to create new high performance culture and operational excellence capability—made more urgent by declining gas prices.
- Structured program focused on key themes of maintenance & reliability, planning & scheduling, integrity management, and people.
- Practical changes to plant management system, including production reporting, daily production and planning meetings.
- Focused leadership development, including self-assessments, leadership development training, and one-on-one coaching to build leader and front-line supervisory capability.
- Relentless focus on safety behaviors, observations, and reporting.
- Revamp of internal communications program, including "tool-box" talks, weekly discussion forums and monthly newsletter.
- Data-driven decision-making on cost, including increasing wrench time productivity and decreasing contractor and materials spend.
"The program was a great success but what's really great is that not only have changes stuck since the Evolve team left, but we're carrying on making more changes and more improvements."
~ Operational Excellence Program Shift Coach