Sour Gas Processing Plant - Foothills (Canada)
Journey to extend economic life of late-life asset by developing a culture of continuous improvement and sustainably lowering unit operating costs.
Our client, operating for over half a century in Southern Alberta, recognized the need to make significant and sustainable shifts in unit operating costs in order to extend its economic life as a producing asset. The leadership team tapped into change agents at the site, and in the head office, to engage the wider population around a compelling vision for the plant and to work with people at the gas complex to examine their operations, for themselves, and apply LEAN and other business performance improvement techniques to create a significant step change in performance.
Context and Challenge
- Aging asset looking to extend its economic production life by 10-15 years
- Need to create a “pilot” site with successful changes that could be rolled out across other assets
- Asset operating in an area characterized by high risk
- Need to ensure high levels of HSE and social performance
- Need to develop leadership capability and create a new “way of working" at the plant
- Operational imperative to improve unit cost performance by ~15-20%, including overall maintenance and reliability performance
- Primary objective to secure the company’s “license to operate” and position the asset for growth and development opportunities
- Creation of a single site vision and implementation of the improvement roadmap to deliver the vision
- Mobilizing and launching improvement teams and delivering quick wins: Cost Management, Leadership Performance, Maintenance Improvement, Organizational Effectiveness
- Redesign and implementation of management system elements for the complex
- Coaching people in new behaviors and LEAN ways of working
- Improving core operations and maintenance processes
- Building organizational improvement capability through a structured, problem-solving approach
- Monitoring and tracking quantitative program improvements
- Reinforcing and celebrating successes
"The program was a great success but what's really great is that not only have changes stuck since the Evolve team left, but we're carrying on making more changes and more improvements."
~ Operational Excellence Program Shift Coach