Engaging people to energize a key facility
Context and Challenge
- A thirty-year-old oil & gas terminal required step-change improvements in reliability, cost and morale.
- The company recognized the need to make improvements at the facility, which processes and separates the oil, water and natural gas pumped from several offshore production platforms.
- The facility had a number of performance challenges, including product quality, environmental performance, shipping and operational reliability and asset integrity.
- Employees were not always collaborating in an effective manner, and organizational issues often prevented efficient execution of business plans.
- The facility and the people that made it work required revitalizing through improved systems, processes and leadership skills.
- Supported the team in defining and implementing an improvement program across multiple Business Excellence themes, including HSE, Maintenance & Reliability, Asset Integrity, Cost, Production Optimization, Integrated Planning and Leadership and Performance Management.
- Trained and developed an internal program team and help leadership craft a vision for improvement.
- Facilitation clarification of processes, installation of new systems, and improvement efforts based on root cause analysis.
- Helped the terminal achieve substantial improvement in operational performance by creating a workplace where people from different cultures came to work together to work effectively as teams.
- Clarified roles and responsibilities and coached leaders on building their skills and reinforcing new winning behaviors.
- Improved maintenance planning process, productivity of maintenance technicians and work order and backlog. management system improved; installed more effective pre- and post-lift planning meetings; established project prioritization process based on risk, production, cost and long-term growth.
"For me, Evolve reaffirmed the need for people to have a purpose and to align individuals with the team. It takes more than a great process to get results; it takes people who are switched on and who see the difference they can make."
~ Operations Performance Unit Leader